Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

History of the School

HISTORY St. Louis Catholic Primary School was founded by the nuns of the Order of St Louis. The nuns had come to England from the Angers area of France and in the early days, in order to make ends meet, had taken in laundry. In 1902 they decided that they would open a school in the convent. The convent building can still be seen next door in what is now West Hill House. Photographs still in existence show children using tennis courts and playing in the orchard. There are also pictures of some quite severe looking nuns! In the early days children wore a uniform of yellow blouse for girls and shirt for boys and brown cardigans or pullovers. Boys also wore a black blazer trimmed with yellow. Boaters and caps were also worn. The original school bell was recently given to the school as a reminder of those days.

Over the years the number of children grew and in October 1970 St Louis officially opened as the Catholic school with two ‘temporary’ classrooms which would be later extended to include other classrooms and a hall. Numbers of children continued to grow and in 1994 St Louis became a Primary school. Major rebuilding works were completed in February 2008 making our school light, airy and providing a high quality learning environment and a school for us all to be proud of.

Many of the parents of children at the school now came to St Louis, as did many of the grandparents. It gives the school a distinctive family atmosphere.

St_Louis_history_2.jpg